Skip to main content

It's a Small World After All

I feel like I've been to quite a few places in my life Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados, Trinidad, US: Florida, Tampa, Detroit, Ohio, Atlanta, Texas, Arizona, New York, Monterrey/Mexico, Sonora/Mexico, Toronto/Canada, Busan/South Korea...

 The more I see, hear and experience in these countries is the more I realize just how small the world is. I've seen so many similarities that I could reflect for days. 

For instance, when I look at the issue of the border separating Mexico and the US, I see the same border separating North and South Korea. I see the same pain of a people longing to be reunified with loved ones, friends, community, a land they once shared. 

   US- Mexico border

    North-South Korea Border 

When I look at Toronto, I see New York, I see Busan and feel the same hopes and dreams of immigrants looking for a better life.

When I look at Guyana, I see a glimpse of how Jamaican community life used to be back in days gone by -when community spirit was high and people really cared to know their neighbour. 

It's a small world after all...




~Love God,Live life,One Enkounter at a Time~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness Cure: Emotional Hygiene

Before the grumpy cat gets under your skin this Valentine's Day, here are my FIVE favourite quotes from Dr. Guy Winch's TED Talk: "We all know how to care for our physical health but what do we know about maintaining our emotional hygiene?" "We sustain psychological injuries (failure, rejection and rumination) even more than we sustain physical injuries." "Once we become convinced of something, it's very difficult to change our mind." "You cannot allow yourself to feel that a situation is helpless. You have to fight for control over the situation and break the negative cycle before it begins." "When you're in emotional pain, treat yourself with the same compassion you'd expect from a really good friend." For more great quotes listen to his 17 minute talk below: What are your favourite quotes? ~Love God,Live life,One Enkounter at a Time~

A Matter of Time

I don't think it's any coincidence that God's time  seems to be the theme for this month. There just always seems to be a time line involved in everything we want to get done. Anyway, as my birthday is fast approaching I've been spending time reflecting, going through pictures, reading my journals just really reflecting to get some perspective. What was interesting was that while going through the journal I just happened to buck up this to-do list...yea...one of those goal to-do lists  where I need to do x by y time . Funnily, the list was written back in 2006 and it had check boxes placed next to the goals. I noticed that at least 3 boxes were still not ticked at the time, while others were ticked and dated...and now for the surprise the unchecked were: 1. Become a lacto-ovo vegetarian  2. Go Natural and 3. Something else that I can't quite remember now.. . It was very funny to me, as reading it marked the 8th day since I had gone vegan with no desire for mea...

Facebook Free For Three

The challenge was never offered to me to quit facebook  but I did it and for three weeks at that...that's right...three whole weeks! I feel now is a good time to share some of the thought processes that went into that decision, some of the reactions and how I spent my time being facebook free. The Decision When I decided to take a 'longer than 24hrs' break from facebook it wasn't a decision I considered and deliberated on. As a matter of fact like nike...I just pretty much did it. I know many people in my network were left feeling puzzled, curious or just down right worried about the decision especially with how I made that step. Like I said before...I just did it. These days when people say they are not on facebook they are normally met with the 'which planet are you from look', so you can imagine the reactions I got.  This statement I recently heard aptly summarizes the overall reactions.   'Whoever is not on facebook is sick and needs help.' The R...