Skip to main content

Overcoming The Disappointments of 2020


Overcoming Disappointments of 2020

Never in a hundred years did I think I would be writing about a disease that has forced the complete shut down of the world. It’s caused me to think a lot and empathize with people and myself about our shared disappointment of how this year has turned out. Let’s recap the outbreak of the novel Corona virus in late 2019 (allegedly with a Chinese wet market as the epicentre):

  • The virus made its way to over 130 countries
  • The virus spurred a pandemic with panic buying & hoarding of essential items 
  • Several countries imposed travel bans and closed their borders
  • Several countries limit movement and impose curfews to prevent the spread
  • Non - essential businesses are ordered to close leading to mass layoffs
  • Humans are instructed to stay in place at home and practice social distancing when they have to be out and about.
Connected By Disappointment

This all sounds stranger than fiction in writing but it is our shared reality right now and quite frankly many of us are disappointed. I personally was disappointed because of the loss of my big or little travel plans for my milestone birthday and other milestone family events. Travel is one of my passions and I was really looking forward to doing it up in 2020. As I’ve browsed my social networks I realize I’m not the only one...

Many people had big plans if not bigger plans for 2020. It was supposed to be this magical monumental milestone year that brought the goal smashing energy with it. Instead a lot of us have been feeling monumentally smashed under the weight of disappointment. How do we deal with all of this? Perspective is one tool that helps.

Perspective

My disappointment  pales in comparison to those that have experienced the loss of loved ones, finances, job security etc. to the Corona Virus. My disappointed plans feel insignificant when I carry the weight of someone who is grieving unexpected losses like these.

Perspective also looks at the new opportunities that can be gained through all of this. This has been a period of regeneration for the environment. There have been so many reports of nature rebounding from our reduced carbon footprint.

This has been a period of increased creativity for so many with people tackling creative projects they didn’t have the time for because of job responsibilities.

This has been a period of education with people pursuing knowledge or subject matter that they never had time to pursue before now. 

This has been a time of getting houses in order; seeing about our own emotional hygiene and the well being of family members and friends. 

This has been a period of spiritual rebirth. Most importantly, people are beginning to revisit their faith, their belief in God and lean into Him.

How have you been dealing with the disappointment of 2020?






~Love God,Live life,One Enkounter at a Time~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Matter of Time

I don't think it's any coincidence that God's time  seems to be the theme for this month. There just always seems to be a time line involved in everything we want to get done. Anyway, as my birthday is fast approaching I've been spending time reflecting, going through pictures, reading my journals just really reflecting to get some perspective. What was interesting was that while going through the journal I just happened to buck up this to-do list...yea...one of those goal to-do lists  where I need to do x by y time . Funnily, the list was written back in 2006 and it had check boxes placed next to the goals. I noticed that at least 3 boxes were still not ticked at the time, while others were ticked and dated...and now for the surprise the unchecked were: 1. Become a lacto-ovo vegetarian  2. Go Natural and 3. Something else that I can't quite remember now.. . It was very funny to me, as reading it marked the 8th day since I had gone vegan with no desire for mea

The Driveway : Another Dream

After posting the last post I made about time , I went to sleep and once again had a strange dream. I have since been contemplating what to make of this dream. I mean how and when can we really ever tell when a dream is just a dream or a vision or even worse a warning? Last night I must have had a lengthy dream but what I can remember is being at this place, I am not sure where it was, but in my mind it seemed to be at this specific house. The house where my grandmother used to live in Frankfield. It somehow seemed different though as there were scores of strange people mulling about and as the stretch of land to get down from the road to the house...the 'driveway', had steps instead of stones and seemed much longer and steeper. What is even more strange was that people drove down the steps and there were three (3) vehicles down in the yard (bear in my mind that in reality the front and side yard of that house has no space for vehicles and vehicles have never been down there as

Facebook Free For Three

The challenge was never offered to me to quit facebook  but I did it and for three weeks at that...that's right...three whole weeks! I feel now is a good time to share some of the thought processes that went into that decision, some of the reactions and how I spent my time being facebook free. The Decision When I decided to take a 'longer than 24hrs' break from facebook it wasn't a decision I considered and deliberated on. As a matter of fact like nike...I just pretty much did it. I know many people in my network were left feeling puzzled, curious or just down right worried about the decision especially with how I made that step. Like I said before...I just did it. These days when people say they are not on facebook they are normally met with the 'which planet are you from look', so you can imagine the reactions I got.  This statement I recently heard aptly summarizes the overall reactions.   'Whoever is not on facebook is sick and needs help.' The R