Skip to main content

How Travel Changed Me



You know how they say you never realize what you had until it’s gone? It’s been a while since I had the opportunity to travel internationally (ok it’s only been less than a year) and by the looks of it I won’t be able to go anywhere for a while (thanks Covid 19). Today when I woke up something just triggered fond memories of travelling and encountering new and different people and cultures. I don’t know if it was the smell of coffee or a glimpse of a sombrero. Whatever the case may be, it had me thinking in a deeply nostalgic way of how travel changed me and the lessons I learned from the countries I’ve had the opportunity to visit. 


I’m mostly grateful for the way that I’ve experienced these countries and cultures; for the most part not in an overly touristy way but in a down to earth way familial way or as part of some service or community based group. The best way to explain is just to tell it...


United States of America


As a child through teenage years, much of my international travel was in the form of family summer vacations to amusement parks in the USA. That was my first experience of a world outside of my Island home. Those were fun times experiencing the family adventures of road tripping from one city to the next, staying in various hotels and experiencing the thrills of amusement rides and animal shows that did not exist at that level in Jamrock (yes there was The Coney Park but Disney World, Parrot Jungle, Universal Studios, Bush Gardens, Cedar Pointe etc were next level.).


 Not to mention the food...


Looking back on my youthful travel experiences I am eternally grateful to my parents for exposing me to different types of food from a young age. It may sound trivial but I do believe that the early exposure to American, Italian, Chinese cuisine etc. really played a huge role in me not experiencing culture shock while later visiting other countries and specifically relocating and acclimatizing to a foreign country by myself (more on that soon). Because let’s face it; if you live somewhere that you can’t at least eat the food or enjoy it, you’re just not going to be happy there. 


Can I get an Amen? 


Back to the US; while I am more a fan of an Ackee and fried dumpling breakfast, I appreciate(d) experiencing continental breakfasts and trying foods we would not normally eat for breakfast at home like yoghurt, certain cereals, waffles etc. Not to mention the road trip snacks. I still remember the first taste of chips ahoy, a North American apple and root beer; so random but this was pre NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) when certain snacks were not imported and we never had those types of snacks at home. Plus you would be surprised how many adults have still never tasted a root beer to this day. If it’s not a Sprite, Pepsi or flavour that D&G would carry they don’t want it lol. 


I also still remember the first time having a pizza from an American franchise (back when pizzas used to come with the little round white plastic table in the middle to hold the slices together). Do they still have that? Lol. Yes I’m a foodie and this could be a whole book or a blog. (Plug) 


Interestingly, I remember at a young age visiting the US and having Ackee and Saltfish for breakfast in downtown Miami or having loads of avocado pear for dinner while visiting family in Fort Lauderdale. This opened my eyes to the fact that you can be away from home but still have/find a taste of home wherever you go. 


Flash forward to present day....since those early Florida visits I’ve since visited and learned so much about the diversity and history of the USA and also about myself as a traveller from visiting states like:

  1. Arizona
  2. Georgia
  3. Massachusetts
  4. Michigan 
  5. New Hampshire 
  6. New York
  7. North Carolina 
  8. Ohio
  9. Texas

I recently visited Miami, Florida and marvelled that the Miami of today is nothing like the Miami of the 80s and early 90s...sooo much has changed; the high rise buildings, the Cuban takeover, it’s all so fascinating. 


In the next post I’ll get into more detail about how each state visit have a new experience or Enkounter. Stay tuned (subscribe by email so you can get notified of the next post.) xoxo






~Love God,Live life,One Enkounter at a Time~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Matter of Time

I don't think it's any coincidence that God's time  seems to be the theme for this month. There just always seems to be a time line involved in everything we want to get done. Anyway, as my birthday is fast approaching I've been spending time reflecting, going through pictures, reading my journals just really reflecting to get some perspective. What was interesting was that while going through the journal I just happened to buck up this to-do list...yea...one of those goal to-do lists  where I need to do x by y time . Funnily, the list was written back in 2006 and it had check boxes placed next to the goals. I noticed that at least 3 boxes were still not ticked at the time, while others were ticked and dated...and now for the surprise the unchecked were: 1. Become a lacto-ovo vegetarian  2. Go Natural and 3. Something else that I can't quite remember now.. . It was very funny to me, as reading it marked the 8th day since I had gone vegan with no desire for mea

The Driveway : Another Dream

After posting the last post I made about time , I went to sleep and once again had a strange dream. I have since been contemplating what to make of this dream. I mean how and when can we really ever tell when a dream is just a dream or a vision or even worse a warning? Last night I must have had a lengthy dream but what I can remember is being at this place, I am not sure where it was, but in my mind it seemed to be at this specific house. The house where my grandmother used to live in Frankfield. It somehow seemed different though as there were scores of strange people mulling about and as the stretch of land to get down from the road to the house...the 'driveway', had steps instead of stones and seemed much longer and steeper. What is even more strange was that people drove down the steps and there were three (3) vehicles down in the yard (bear in my mind that in reality the front and side yard of that house has no space for vehicles and vehicles have never been down there as

Facebook Free For Three

The challenge was never offered to me to quit facebook  but I did it and for three weeks at that...that's right...three whole weeks! I feel now is a good time to share some of the thought processes that went into that decision, some of the reactions and how I spent my time being facebook free. The Decision When I decided to take a 'longer than 24hrs' break from facebook it wasn't a decision I considered and deliberated on. As a matter of fact like nike...I just pretty much did it. I know many people in my network were left feeling puzzled, curious or just down right worried about the decision especially with how I made that step. Like I said before...I just did it. These days when people say they are not on facebook they are normally met with the 'which planet are you from look', so you can imagine the reactions I got.  This statement I recently heard aptly summarizes the overall reactions.   'Whoever is not on facebook is sick and needs help.' The R